Орнитолог-любитель

Wednesday, June 14, 2006

Hatfield Moor

Well, I've got a few well earned days off work, and whilst I'll be otherwise engaged with chores for most of next week, this week I'm taking the chance to get some birding in.

After such a promising visit last time, I thought I'd give Hatfield Moor another go.

Long story short... had another great day!

Long story long... well...

I made the short drive from home, yesterday, and pulled into the entrance trackway of the reserve. With the window wound down, I immediately heard a Yellowhammer calling, and the list began.

I noticed a couple of rabbits on the track a little way ahead of me, so I paused to let them get on with their business, pulling up alongside singing Whitethroat in the shrubbery to my right, and just before a Swallow perched on the fence to my left.

On the track between me and the rabbits, a couple of House Sparrows landed, and an Oystercatcher flew overhead.

As I continued along the track, I added Carrion Crow and Starling, and although I knew what the Martins were likely to be, I couldn't get a good enough fix to confirm, so I left them temporarily "unticked".

Nevertheless, that's seven species, and I've only just reached the carpark.

As I got out of the car and gathered togther all my clobber, a couple of Goldfinches flew over.

The day was very warm, and although the lake looked fairly quiet, I decided to start in the hide and, amongst other things, confirm those Martins. Of course, they were Sand Martins, quite active over the water, taking a break from time to time on the topmost branches of the partially submerged trees.

There lake was no busier from forty yards closer (!) but still I was able to add Mallard and Mute Swan, Tufted Duck, Canada Geese and Lapwing. After a short while, a skein of 13 Greylag Geese passed overhead, and Pied Wagtails were toing and froing over the water.

A Green Woodpecker gave its racous laugh from the trees close by.

I decided it was time to leave the hide and explore some more of the reserve.

Since my last visit a box containing excellent leaflets, booklets really, had appeared, so this was a little less of a journey into the unknown.

Rather than take the long drag down to Ten Acre Lake, I decided to stay closer to the southern car park, exploring Boston Park and some of Packard's Heath. The waymarked routes criss-cross the area, and there are some unmarked but clearly navigable paths that add further options.

Although, the weather was very warm, it wasn't so hot as very recently, and overnight there had been some rain. Perhaps this explained the huge quantities of non-avian flying things that meant I spent most of my time wafting away bloodthirsty invaders who seemed to regard me as a good meal.

Of the less offensive insect life, there were quite good numbers of butterflies and day-flying moths out.

I saw my first Painted Lady of the season, getting awfully stroppy towards a Red Admiral that clearly was not welcome.


(As an aside, I've often wondered about butterfly fights. Clearly they can appear very agressive, but what on earth harm can they inflict?)

There were also a great many of these fellas, which I think are Brown Sliver-lines.


A change of vegetation brought out the Speckled Woods.


From the trees and reeds and sky, the birdsong was simply fabulous, and I was lucky enough the be serenaded by Wood Larks, Sedge Warblers, Reed Buntings and Chiffchaffs.

OK, some of those might fall short of melody, but it was brilliant nonethelees.

A somewhat agitated Great Spotted Woodpecker flew over, and from time to time I could here a distant Cuckoo calling.

Actually, there was so much birdsong, it was difficult for me to pick out individual calls... or rather, it was just so good to let it all hit me at once that I sort of "forgot" to listen to particular songs.

Plus, my attention was also being grabbed elsewhere.

A slither and a rustle and I noticed a very yellow Adder slinking into the undergrowth. I got great views, clearly, it saw me before I saw it, and scarpered.

But, I figured if it was basking, it may well reappear, and so I decided to make sure I passed the same spot again.

Plenty of mosquito-type insects had decided to make a meal of me, but I had to really behave like the biggest girl's blouse when something started eating me that I've never seen before!!!

Copious hand shaking, and manly shouts of "yearrrgghhh!!!" only caused it to fall over... BUT IT WAS STILL ATTACHED!!!!

Only panic-filled blowing at it and jumping up and down finally dislodged the diner, and I think I'm going to survive... but it was touch and go for a few seconds, I can tell you!

Plus I felt completely loppy for the rest of the day!

I'm not good at dealing with things with more than four legs, and I had just survived the aforementioned near-death experience, so I hope you appreciate the lengths I went to to get this next photo.



Don't know what it is, but I guess it's some kind of Longhorn.

What I don't mind are slugs and snails (no legs you see... just one foot, which must mean they hop everywhere?)

Anyway, I came across this groovy looking mollusc, which, having no idea what it's proper name is, I shall call the Orange-skirted Slug.

I post the photo mainly for the benefit of my daughter, who thinks they're groovy too.


Well, moving on - adding Wren, Woodpigeon and Little Grebe to the bird list - I soon arrived back at the snake location.

But just a bit sooner than I expected... and they saw me again!

Yes they... there were two out basking. One seemed to be the yellow one again. The other was much darker, and I only saw the tail disappear.

OK, I reckoned they'd show again, so I attached my camera to the tripod, set it to remote activated, retreated and waited.

About fifteen minutes later, the yellow one appeared again, very cautiously, but gradually, until nearly fully in view - a good two feet in length I guess.

Trouble is... I can't take a picture!!!

Now I love my camera, but it has one apparent design fault. The infra red remote only works from in front of the camera, a seems to have a range of about seven inches!

I tried to surreptitiously creep within range, but Snaky saw me and crept off.

OK, I'll give it one more go.

Another twenty minutes or so hanging around, getting gradually devoured by the carnivorous arthropoda in the vicinty.

Then I noticed the yelow snake was visible, not out, but showing from under the low twigs and branches.


After taking that photo and one other, he disappeared, and I was hopeful he was on the way down.

But after a few minutes, he didn't appear, so I took my binoculars to see if he was in sight... only to notice the darker snake in almost full view. Fantastic!!!


Snake photographing mission accomplished, I decided to head home.

My walk back to the car was as delightful as the rest of the day, not least thanks to this fella.


And I managed to just about lock on to Blue Tit, Blackbird and Willow Warbler.

But, d'you know what? It's nice just to let all the songs hit you at once.

3 Comments:

  • At 8:34 AM, Blogger DH59 said…

    Good grief! It's like waiting for buses - you wait ages and then two come at once!!

    A couple of great reports there, Dave. Glad you survived the 'little-bitty-insect attack. I may not have stayed around long enough to photograph the snake, though.

    I think the slug is a Black Slug. I remember looking this up some time ago. Trouble is, most websites are about getting rid of them, not identifying them.

    I really must make the effort to get to Hatfield Moor.

     
  • At 3:33 PM, Blogger Zanna_x said…

    Awwww cute lil slug :D thanks Dad.
    You know that Brown Sliver-line. Is it silver rather than sliver? I don't know but that seems to sound better?

    And well done with the bug, I'm pround of my manly Dad. Bet it wasn't as good as that wasp though. You ran across the car park like a herd of elephants were chasing you! I love you Dad. Lol.
    From Daughter x

     
  • At 1:40 AM, Blogger The Birdman said…

    Yep... Silver... and you know I don't do wasps!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home