Орнитолог-любитель

Friday, June 16, 2006

Potteric Carr

Wednesday afforded me the opportunity to visit the reserve closest to my hometown, Potteric Carr, barely 2 miles from the centre of Doncaster.

It was my first visit in the best part of a year. The last time work had just begun on extending the reserve. This is now well under way, but there is still more to be done.

The most obvious change (other than a change of entrance) is that almost all the paths have been hardened, and all the new hides have ramp access, opening much more of the reserve up to wheelchair users.

There are still a couple of old, renovated hides that have step entrances, and crossing the railway lines still requires the negotiation of steps, although one of these crossing could perhaps be ramped.

Anyway, I arrived late morning, on a warm but cloudy day.

As summer approaches, Potteric Carr does begin to get a little overgrown, and it can be a little "quiet! in terms of the numbers of species to be seen, but as there are some longstanding stands of trees, there is always likely to be a good selection of woodland birds.

The stretches of water will offer other opportunities - if not the wider possibilities of the cooler months.

My first species of the day was Chaffinch, closely followed by the first of many Black-headed Gulls. A Kestrel was patroling the area.

I move to the first hide on the Green Route (anticlockwise - the new hides haven't been named yet) and although there was little to see on the water, the first of the day's Sedge Warblers could be heard. More Black-headed Gulls on the water, with Mallard and Tufted Duck, and a couple of families of Canada Geese, goslings at various stages of feathering. A few Coots were also present.

After a short stay, I moved on to the next hide.

The improvement to the paths, and some changes in route meant that some previously familiar parts of the reserve looked different, and some new parts have been opened up.

As I walked along the Willow Bank I heard Little Grebe and Chiffchaff, and there were House Martins overhead.

Two ladies of the female persuasion were looking out over the fields, making "Awwww" noises. I heard a Pheasant, and as fine a bird as they are, they didn't strke me as the Awwww type. No, in fact they had found some deer, and had I arrived 5 seconds sooner, I would have seen them myself, but alas and alack.

Shortly afterwards I saw Swifts flying over, and then got decent views of at least half a dozen Willow Tits.

I soon arrived at the Willow Marsh hide.

One bonus feature we have at Potteric Carr at the moment is a pair of Black-necked Grebes, which have fledged a single chick.

I spent plenty of time watching these as they took their chick out into the big wide world.

Another Little Grebe was on the water, along with more Coot and the ubiquitous Black-headed Gulls. A Buzzard flew over causing a bit of a stir, a similar reaction being received by a Grey Heron.


Moving on to the next hide, more Chiffchaffs were calling and I caught sight of a few Great Tits.

I called in at one of the Willow Marsh hides, and spent a little time there, adding Reed Bunting and Magpie, along with yet more Black-headed Gulls, Coots and Sedge Warblers.


Next I made my way to the newest, and as yet not fully open part of the reserve. There is access to a hide overlooking Huxter Pool (or Marsh or whatever) but although this area has already produced some interest, there is still much work taking place.

Nevertheless, I saw another (?) Buzzard, this time flying in the trees and causing as much consternation, and picked up my first Robin sighting of the day.

From the hide itself, more Black-headed Gulls, with Canada Geese and Tufted Ducks, as well as Mute Swans, Stock Doves and the odd Lapwing or two. On one of the islands I noticed an Oystercatcher, and there were a few Mallard and Coot, as a Woodpigeon flew across the "lake".

My next target was the Piper Marsh hide, where I hopes to see what I think would be my first Kingfisher of the year.

En route, I added Long-tailed Tit, Moorhen and a Green Woodpecker (the latter by call) as well as more Great Tits and Robins.

A look over Piper Marsh brought me Sand Martins (it looks like there is a newly created nesting bank) and Ruddy Duck as additions to the day's tally. Mallard and Mute Swan, Sedge Warbler, Grey Heron and Coot were also present.

The other sighting was one for Pete to identify for me!

However, in spite of an extended stay, I didn't get my Kingfisher.

Moving on, I soon adding a couple of Bullfinches (as they tore away from me!) and I could here Willow Warbler. A Blackbird was a surprisingly tardy addition, as was Blue Tit. Another Magpie or two, and as I crossed the railway I was able to add Carrion Crow and a disgruntled sounding Great Spotted Woodpecker.

More Chiffchaffs were calling in the trees.

I eventually made it to the Childers Hide, noticing the raucous cacophony as I approached.

The noise was being made in its entirety by yet more Black-headed Gulls, the vast majority of the birds there. In addition there were a good few Mallard and Coot, just a pair (I think) of Tufted Ducks and a single Shoveler.

My final port of call was the Old Eaa hide.

Sedge Warblers were again calling from the reedbeds.

After experimenting with my camera, my daylist was filled out with a couple of Shelduck and a fair few Gadwall, amongst the Mallards, Ruddy Ducks, Tufted Duck and... oh yes... Black-headed Gulls!

Well, if my counting is correct, that's 40 species, which I don't suppose is too bad for "quiet".

It won't be as long before I return again.

(P.S. There were more photos than this, but after having attempted to load two of them at least four times each, I got sick of trying!!!)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home