Орнитолог-любитель

Friday, June 16, 2006

Lakenheath Fen and Weeting Heath

During our get together at Flamborough, the conversation briefly turned again to Lakenheath Fen, and Pete recommended a visit "now" to be in with a chance of catching the speciality species, Golden Oriole.

The woman in my life had planned a girly shop (on the day of England's second World Cup Group Game!!!) so we decided that I would have a long day out on the same day, and tape the match to watch later in the evening.

So, up at 5:45 am (whatever that is!) on 15th June, I managed to get myself into gear for the trip to Lakenheath Fen.

(I've said it before, and I say it again, the drag along the A17 from Newark to King's Lynn is the most interminably boring journey I know!)

Anyway, my early start was to avoid any holdups, and apart from getting lost in Feltwell, it was pretty much mission accomplished as I rolled into the reserve car park at just after 9:00 am.

The run down had been mirky, but the sun was shining on arrival, and would do for most of the day.

As I had never visited before, I wouldn't know if this is normal, but immediately on exiting the car, I was hit by the song of countless Common Whitethroats... the nearest to me being barely thirty feet away.

A smallish flock of Starlings was circling, and there were House Martins and Swifts, presumably feeding, all around the sky.

Some work is being done on the reserve, but I headed down the path to the first stand of poplars.

Blackbirds and Wrens were singing, numerous Reed Buntings flitting about, and the occasional Pheasant made itself known.

By now, I was starting to make a few inroads into the birdsong. After the initial onslaught of Whitethroat, it was clear there was more happening, but similar to my trip a couple of days previously, there was just so much sound. I'm sure an expert would have had a field day!

The obvious non-Whitethroat song was Sedge Warbler. Clearly there were loads of these around.

As I made my way along the path, I noticed a small sign which indicated this was probably as good a location as any to try to track down the "stars".

Of course, as I stood, everything that moved, every Jackdaw, every Carrion Crow, every Woodpigeon, every Chaffinch became a potential Golden Oriole... well for a very brief while.

Then I caught a peripheral glimpse of two birds tearing though the trees. Clearly some sort of altercation was taking place, but in the absence of any major bright yellow colouring... well I couldn't make them into orioles.

So, the only thing to do was wait.

Within half an hour, I began to hear the calls of one or more Golden Oriole. This calling lasted for about half an hour itself, but, although sufficiently well ided for me to count them, I didn't actually see a single one.

In all I waited for the best part of 5 hours.

During this time, I spoke with a number of people who had had varying levels of success at various times tracking them down, but all agreeing they certainly live up to reputation of being elusive.

Birdwise, of course there was plenty of action.

A Cuckoo was somewhere closeby, and frequently called, and both Great Spooted Woodpecker and Green Woodpecker also made their presence known.

The orioles themselves called again from time to time, but were also quiet for long periods, and I never got even close to tracking one down visually.

A Grey Heron flew down in to the woods, and a Kestrel was making regular forays.

I should add, that on top of all the birdsong, was the regular roar of the local (I am informed) F15s doing manoeuvres just above my head!!!

I decided I needed a break.

It was hot, and things did not seem to be improving, so I took a chance and moved on.

As I was leaving, I met another guy who said he was newish to birding - about 4 years. He had found the reserve by chance, and called in to see what he could find. Like me, he commented on the difficulty of distinguishing bird song, and the birds themselves, particularly warblers.

He followed this by recognising a Garden Warbler by song, which obligingly flew in and perched in a shrub about fifteen feet away, so we were able to id it visually as well.

Before I left the site completely, I did walk up to the river bank to take a look over the Washland. There were numerous Mute Swans, a fair few Canada Geese, and plenty of ducks, all of which appeared to be Gadwall. The exception was a pair of Mallards in a nearby creek.

Based on some information I must've misheard (!) I took a drive over to Tuddenham, but finding no obvious English Nature reserve, my focus changed to finding somewhere to eat.

Unfortunately, by now it was about 4pm so the pubs had stopped serving lunch but weren't yet serving dinner. Never mind... I'll get a snack from a supermarket.

At various points on my drive, I was able to add Swallow, Rook, Blue Tit and Pied Wagtail.

For some reason, I decided to try Hockwold, without success, and drove on to Weeting. On my way I noticed the sign for a nature reserve, and planned to call in on my way back.

You'll all be pleased to here my search for food in Weeting was not in vain, as I found a chippy, and therefore did not waste away!

Now back to the reserve, which turned out to be Weeting Heath.

I pulled into the car park, not knowing what to expect, only to see on the sign that the hides should allow good views of Stone Curlew!!!

So, I gladly stumped up my £2.50, and took a brisk walk to the West Hide.

In the trees the path wended its way through were calling Chiffchaffs, Chaffinches and Wrens.

I soon reached the hide, and took a look over the field.

Many Woodpigeon, loads of Rooks, some Pied Wagtails, a gazillion rabbit all impersonating Stone Curlews, and sure enough two of said Stone Curlews hunkered down from the heat. Superb!

To be fair, I didn't stay as long as I could have, because, although it was now past 5:00 pm, I decided to give Lakenheath Fen one last try.

To be equally fair, my success was similar. I did hear some calls - probably 30 or 40 throughout the whole day - but not a one to be seen.

But my parting bird was an obliging Blackcap, to bring my day to an end.

So all in all, I came with a "target" bird, and left after hearing, if not seeing it, but with the added bonus of the Stone Curlews, and, for me, the rarity of a Garden Warbler.

Brilliant result, yes, but also strangely frustrating. I'll just have to come back again another time.

(P.S. I did have some photos, but see postscript to previous entry. Posting photos is a nightmare!!!)

1 Comments:

  • At 11:12 AM, Blogger The Quacks of Life said…

    i'm having no real probs loading photos.

    yes lakenheath id frustrating. at least you heard them! and saw stone-curlew!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home