Орнитолог-любитель

Sunday, July 30, 2006

Hatfield Moor

Took a chance to get a couple of hours in at Hatfield Moor before today's F1GP.

Without trying, it was easy to spot the Swallows on the way, and when I arrived I parked close to the hide over the first lake.

It wasn't so hot as it has been, but it was still bright and sunny, and a look over the lake brought me many of the usual suspects going about their business in the bright light.

There were a couple of Great Crested Grebe young calling to various parents, as well as Coots doing the same.

Over on the farthest bank was a large mixed gaggle of Canada Geese and Greylag Geese, and a flock of Black-headed Gulls was on the water, as was at least one Little Grebe and a Mute Swan.

I didn't stay in the hide long, as I wanted to roam a little.

As I left, a couple of Oystercatchers flew in, and a two Common Terns flew over, whilst a Yellowhammer was singing closeby.

I walked on, but was quickly soon by the number of insects around the bramble bushes, so I took the chance of a few photos.

There were a number of butterflies, two kinds of White, two Browns, two different Blues (obvious even to me) as well as Peacock, Red Admiral, Painted Lady and a Silver-Y moth.


In addition were several species of Dragon/Damselfly, one of which I got decent shots of and I'll let Pete identitfy, and various other flyin' 'n' buzzin' things.

Whilst watching the insect-life, a Blackbird sneaked out, and quickly sneaked back in, Wrens and a Chiffchaff were calling and Carrion Crows were cawing raucously all around.

I soon heard the first of many Green Woodpecker calls, and I was lucky enough the get two great sightings also, as I walked around the reserve.

My attention was still as much on the insect population as bird population, not least because some wouldn't leave me alone! There were more D-flies and butterflies, including Speckled Wood.

One of the ponds played host to some Mallard, along with another Little Grebe, whilst Woodpigeon and Sedge Warbler were making their presence known in their own special ways.

Walking back to the car, another pond was residence to a few Tufted Duck, and I was now on a mission to get back to the car.

Leaving the reserve, a Grey Partridge ran across my path, followed by at least 13 younngsters - I had to stop to let them all pass.

And whilst stopping, I noticed some bathers in the puddles up ahead. A Goldfinch and a Yellow Wagtail.

Superb!

2 Comments:

  • At 1:28 PM, Blogger The Quacks of Life said…

    you're asking me??

    well ok I'd say Common Darte for the top one has light legs,

    2nd is different insectthink that's a male common darter. think you can detect light on legs

     
  • At 2:07 PM, Blogger Zanna_x said…

    Heylo!!! I haven't actually read this post 'cos I'm too tired but seriously, this time you must have got the pics off the internet!?!?
    Love from me xxx

     

Post a Comment

<< Home