Орнитолог-любитель

Monday, January 29, 2007

Hatfield Moor

Today was the first of my two days off work.

After my first proper session at my new gym* I moved on the short distance to Hatfield Moor, to see what treasures this relatively new reserve holds in the... erm... depths of winter.

As I arrived, a butterfly flew across the track in front of me. I know winter butterflies are not unknown, but I think that was a January first for me!

On pulling into the car park, the first obvious bird was a Moorhen mooching around in the short grass whilst three Pied Wagtails and a Meadow Pipit were chattering close to the Boston Park hide.

I decided to take a look over the pool from the hide.

It was warm enough to sit in the hide in my T-shirt, but the sun was both bright and low, and made viewing a bit tricky.

Even so, I was quickly able to make out plenty of Coots and Black-headed Gulls, and a single Canada Goose.

A few Tufted Ducks were have seriously bad hair days, and the duck count was completed by some Pochard.

On the far bank a couple of Oystercatchers were feeding, and I caught sight of a Little Grebe just before it dived.

It never obviously resurfaced, but whilst I was scanning the water I saw a couple of Great Crested Grebes making pairing moves... seems love is already in the air!

A Carrion Crow flying over was just about it for the pool so I decided to move on and see what was singing in the trees.

It didn't take long to come across the first of the Long-tailed Tits, although they wouldn't keep still for long and it took a while to get a good views.

In the meanwhile, a Robin was singing lustily from a perch in the same trees. When I finally took the time out give (I guess) him a look, he turned out to be a beauty. At the moment the Robins I am seeing all have this wonderful tomato-soup coloured breast shining brightly.

In the undergrowth, a Dunnock scurried out, and quickly retreated, and Great Tits were doing their squeaky gate impersonations all around.

A Magpie and an Woodpigeon were the next flyovers, as I made my way along one of the rides towards the peat moor/workings. I heard the first of the day's Green Woodpeckers, although I never did actually see one, and Blackbirds were busy rushing around the lowest branches.

As I turned a corner, I got a sort but unmistakeable view of a flying Kingfisher. Kingfishers are another of my "good day" birds. They are certainly pleasing to look at for long durations when perched, but if anything they are better in flight - although repeated flights to and from a fixed perched are certainly better than seeing then shoot of into the distance!

Even so, a short glimpse of electric blue as it rose and turned away were fine enough.

I hung around in the hope it would return, but unfortunately, no. But whilst waiting, I was able to enjoy watching a rather noisy Marsh Tit feeding on the bullrushes. There were a fair few Marsh Tits around, in fact.

The next port of call was a bench by the peat, but once again this desolate stretch of land rewarded little in birds... just a few Carrion Crows. The sit down was welcome though!

After about twenty minutes, I moved on, and sood ided a Coal Tit in amongst a small flock of Blue Tits.

I made my way towords the Redbridge hide, upsetting a few Wrens on the way, it seems.

En route, on another pond I was able to add Wigeon and Herring Gull, the latter being somewhat of the bully towards the Black-headed Gulls, although, apat from Mallard, the view from the hide yielded nought.

Anyway, time to make my way back to the car, by a slightly different route.

I picked more of many of the same, but was able to add a female Reed Bunting and a couple of distant Mute Swans, which, if my counting has served me well, was 30 species for the day.

*Yes... those of you who have seen me... imagine how I'd look if I didn't work out!!!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home